SERVIAM! (I Will Serve!)


In one of his celebrated Encyclicals, Ecclesia de Eucharistia, St. (Pope) John Paul II, adds his own personal refection about the many masses he celebrated in different cosmic realities:

When I think of the Eucharist, and look at my life as a priest, as a Bishop and as the Successor of Peter, I naturally recall the many times and places in which I was able to celebrate it. I remember the parish church of Niegowić, where I had my first pastoral assignment, the collegiate church of Saint Florian in Krakow, Wawel Cathedral, Saint Peter's Basilica and so many basilicas and churches in Rome and throughout the world. I have been able to celebrate Holy Mass in chapels built along mountain paths, on lakeshores and seacoasts; I have celebrated it on altars built in stadiums and in city squares... This varied scenario of celebrations of the Eucharist has given me a powerful experience of its universal and, so to speak, cosmic character. Yes, cosmic! Because even when it is celebrated on the humble altar of a country church, the Eucharist is always in some way celebrated on the altar of the world…” (Ecclesia De Eucharistia n.8)

I work in a parish, as a Parochial Vicar. The parish has 28 churches (outstations) and about 5 parochial schools, not counting of course the many other schools, church sponsored or otherwise that require our pastoral care. We are just two priests: the parish priest and myself. Due to this great number of churches and schools, we cannot manage to celebrate the Sunday Mass for all the stations. We therefore try to celebrate Sunday Masses for our Christians, those we could not reach on Sunday during the weekdays. Of course, even with this, it is still not possible to reach all areas. Some chrisitans have to wait for a longer time.

After the Holy Mass at Tinet
On 6th of June 2019, I was scheduled to celebrate two Masses. One at a Small Christian Community at around 11am and another in our Parochial Secondary School at 4pm. After my morning chores, I got into the car, I was conscious that I had to leave early because the Small Chrisitan Community where I was to Celebrate the Holy Sacrifice of Mass was in Tinet area of our parish, almost 20 kilometers away from the Parish church and on murram road that most times is not at its best. This is the rainy season and the coldest  time here in Keringet. I had to leave early, celebrate the Mass and try to make it to the school before the rains, otherwise I would be stuck in the mud and having been in a similar  predicament previously, I didn’t want history to repeat itself. A burnt child dreads fire.

As I was driving to Tinet, I couldn’t help but think of the invocation of our Lord to his disciples prior to the Lord’s Supper in the Gospel of Matthew, “Ite in castellum..!”  that is, “Go into the village..!” (Matt 21:2). I arrived at Tinet centre some minutes to noon. I took out my cell phone and tried to call some of our faithful from the area so that they could tell me in which home we were to celebrate the Mass. The day was a Thursday just after the Ascension so I wanted to celebrate Mass for the Ascension which we had celebrated the previous Sunday.

No calls were going through. Luckily, a gentleman saw me and he came to may aid. “Father, How are you?” He said in his native Kipsigis. “Achamge…Awekyini Cheptalel Kongoi,” I retorted in Kipsigis much to his surprise. He happened to be one of our faithful from the area. He was on his way to his farm, (It is the rainy season in our parish and many people are busy weeding). I enquired from him, where we are to celebrate the mass. He said he was not aware of any Mass. He went out asking and tried to call but to no avail, all were equally not aware. It seems they had not checked the Mass Schedule well. Luckily, I had a mass schedule in my car, and I confirmed that that was the place I was supposed to be. “So what do we do?” He asked. “I don’t know, I guess I have to turn back and proceed to the school before the rains,” I responded. As I was turning the vehicle rather disappointed because I had traveled a long distance. He went off the opposite direction and then he suddenly turned back and come running to my car. “Is everything ok?” I asked. “Father, since you have already come, why don’t you pray for us, even briefly. We can go to Jane’s house.” He said. I was touched. “Just to pray? We are going to celebrate Mass.” I retorted then packed my car, got out my Mass kit and we proceeded to walk to Jane’s house.

Jane was clearly not expecting us, but she welcomed us with a beaming smile. I set out everything. And I  proceeded to celebrate Mass,  just the three of us present. And it was indeed one of the most beautiful Masses I have ever celebrated in my over two years as a priest. As we normally say in the Preface to the Eucharistic Prayer: “It is truly right and just, our duty and our salvation, always and everywhere to give you thanks, Lord, holy Father, almighty and eternal God, through Christ our Lord.”  

Thank you so much Father, for bringing to us Jesus in the Eucharist,” said Jane after the conclusion of the Mass. I thanked them too for being always ready and prepared to receive Our Lord, using the parable of the ten virgins.

As I was driving out of the home on my way to school, I felt so grateful to God for giving me the opportunity to be a priest, so that I can make Jesus present in the lives of the people. Indeed, the Eucharist is the principle reason for the ordained priesthood. And as St. John Paul II said, “the celebration of the Eucharist is the best way we priests can serve our brothers and sisters because it is the source and the summit of our Christian lives.”   I also couldn’t help but think of how privileged I was, that God has entrusted me, together with many others of course, with this great mission, to make Jesus Christ in the Eucharist present in the furthest possible places.


What else can I say other than: Serviam! I will Serve!

Fr. Casmir is a parochial Vicar, St. Veronica parish, Keringet.  Diocese of Nakuru.
Email casmirthomas28@gmail.com


Comments

  1. Waaaaauh!!!!its like astory but its touching.....thanks FR.casmir for your effort,God bless u n bless our parish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooow may God always guide you and may you never grow weary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The life of a priest is always a ready for mission attitude. May God Himself grant you necessary graces to serve his people ALWAYS AND EVERYWHERE...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enter your reply...Good one brother. God bless you

      Delete
  4. It's a touching story
    May God grant you good health knowledge and his grace to serve your faithful for ever

    ReplyDelete
  5. A true devotion counts the most to a total steadfastness. What a faithful steward reflects is what a priest should follow. Such life, to me, is full of stumbling blocks...we should pray for them to overcome and to serve the Lord totally

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spirit of the mission. Keep making our Lord Jesus Christ present everywhere. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful experience. May you continue taking Jesus to all the corners of Keringet Parish and the whole world.
    Fr. Alex, Kampala.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is total commitment to your vocation. Serve our Lord that is what you were called for Father. This is unstoppable. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great father God bless you and our parish Amen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glory be to God,you are a priest forever in the order of melchizedek

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moving story. Happens mostly But your response was unique .God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  12. So inspirational.
    May God continue manifesting himself through you Fr.
    God bless you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE OFFERTORY PROCESSION

"I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU AT THE GATE" FR. MICHAEL MUTUKU

BREAKING BARRIERS: THE SIGNIFICANCE OF ARCHBISHOP STEPHEN AMEYU MARTIN MULLA'S ELEVATION TO CARDINAL