WITH FRANCIS OUR POPE AND CLEOPHAS OUR BISHOP

By Fr. Casmir Odundo


Mons. Cleophas Oseso
From today, throughout the 18,149 square kilometres of Nakuru diocese, in all masses every day, all priests and bishops will be mentioning in the Eucharistic prayer, 'With Your servant Francis, our Pope, and Cleophas, our bishop'.


I suppose I was too young to remember whether Bishop Ndingi was ever mentioned in the Eucharistic prayer, even though he must have been. However, I do remember Bishop Kairo's name being mentioned, and later during the transition, Bishop Anyolo's, and finally Bishop Maurice's, whom I personally mentioned until I left Nakuru for a while for further studies.


At times, I can't help but think that bishops are fortunate because they are remembered in every mass. However, I also recognize that it's a tradition that dates back to the early Christian centuries, when the names of the bishops were included in the Eucharistic prayer. That's why in the Roman canon, we still have some names of the bishops of Rome. I am always in awe of the Mass, which has been celebrated for over 2,000 years (and I have been privileged to see physical evidence that supports this fact) and how it unites us not only as a diocese and the universal church, but the people of God as a whole, living, those in purgatory and the saints.


The main focus of this article is my new bishop, Monsignor Cleophas Oseso. Curious about his name, I searched David Cheney's Catholic Hierarchy website, which is a reliable database, although sometimes with some errors. I wanted to find out how many bishops in the history of the church have been named Cleophas. If we go by the English spelling, it seems that Monsignor Cleophas Oseso is the only Catholic bishop with that name from the 16th century onwards. However, in Mexico, there is a Salesian bishop named Salvador Cleofás Murguía Villalobos, S.D.B., making it two. Additionally, I found out (from another source) about an Anglican bishop named Cleophas Lunga from the Diocese of Matabeleland.


As I have previously mentioned, the name Cleophas has symbolic significance during the Easter season. It's worth noting that the bishop will be ordained with the Easter or Paschal candle burning, which serves as a reminder of the two disciples who were walking back to Jerusalem on the evening of the resurrection. Although only one is mentioned by name, Cleophas, he was the spokesperson between the two, just as our new bishop will be our spokesperson to God. Additionally, Mary, the mother of Cleophas, was one of the women who stood by Jesus at the foot of the cross. I'll leave it to others to explore the etymology of our bishop's surname!


I may not know our new Bishop Cleophas Oseso as well as others do, but I will share my recollections of him because behind the bishop, priests, and other officials is a human being. I first saw Father Oseso in 1997 when Bishop Kairo became the new bishop of Nakuru, and they visited our outstation in Hekima for the first time. I was in standard two (second grade) at the time, and while I don't recall many details, I remember the excitement that came with a new bishop's visit. (I also remember the joy when we welcomed Bishop Muhatia for the first time, but that's a story for another day.) After my first holy communion, I became an altar boy and frequently served at Fr. Oseso's masses. I observed him and other priests up close, and I recall him for his punctuality. His masses began and ended on time, and he was concise and to the point. He didn't like to exaggerate things.


Another notable incident that comes to mind was in 2003, during a raffle organized by our parish, led by then Cathedral Administrator Father (now Bishop) Dominic Kimengich. Father Oseso won a child's bicycle as a prize, and everyone was puzzled as to what a priest would do with it. Everyone else wanted the bike, but after a few days, Father Oseso announced in church that he had made an agreement with the headteacher,  (sister), of Christ the King Primary School (which was just starting at that time). He said that the pupil who would rank first in class one would be the one to take the bike home


After returning from his time in the US, I had a few encounters with him, but by then, I had already joined the seminary. During my time at Mabanga, one of our late professors, Father Paul Miyam, asked me if I knew Father Oseso. I replied affirmatively and asked if they were classmates, to which he replied, 'No, he was a class behind us in Tindinyo, with Father Mulwa.' 


However, my most distinct recollection of him was after I became a priest. He was the chairman of our priests' association (NADPA), and he even welcomed us to our first meeting in Olenguruone. He was always willing to assist, and one of his favourite quotes about the priesthood was from St. John Maria Vianney, who said, 'The priesthood is the love of the heart of Jesus.' Whenever I hear those words, I think of him.


I had the opportunity to serve in Kabarnet just after Father Oseso's time with Father Simon there, and despite our best efforts, we were never able to surpass their record. In fact, one of the staff members, who was also a choir member in the church, told me, 'I wish that Father Oseso and Father Simon could remain with us forever.'


As fellow priests in the diocese, he has been a friend and elder brother to us, always willing to listen and offer sound advice with professionalism and fairness. We are delighted to have him as our bishop to walk with us and with Christ on our journey to heaven.


...With Francis, our Pope, and Cleophas, our bishop!




The author is a priest of the Diocese of Nakuru. 
Email: casmirthomas28@gmail.com 

Comments

  1. Great one Casmir
    Nakuru is blessed to have such a human priest and Bishop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fr. for sharing our Bishop's profile. We are grateful to him as our Shepherd. Congratulations to Bishop Cleophas Oseso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good research of Our Bishop. I was lucky to work very closely with him as A parish Lay Council Chair and as a Choir Chair at Mary Mother of God - Kabarnet Parish. A very dedicated servant of God, always ready to listen , give fatherly advise, correct where necessary and more so support wherever and whenever he can. God bless our Bishop Cleophas Oseso Tuka.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE OFFERTORY PROCESSION

"I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU AT THE GATE" FR. MICHAEL MUTUKU