IN LOVE WITH THE WORD OF GOD: REMEMBERING FR. MICHAEL K. ITHONDEKA

Fr. Casmir Odundo

Fr. Ithondeka
Yesterday, the Catholic Church celebrated the very first Sunday of the Word of God as promoted and proclaimed by Pope Francis in his Motu Proprio “Aperuit illis”. "This Sunday," according to Pope Francis, "and the subsequent 3rd Sunday’s of the ordinary time, will be devoted to, the celebration, study and dissemination of the Word of God.”   Of course the word of God has been translated into many languages, (beginning from the Septuagint and the Vulgate) but the greatest of these translations: is the one carried out by Christians’ every day in fulfilling their ordinary duties. That is, translating God’s word into life. Making God’s word alive again!

As the Universal Church marked this day, some of the  priests of the diocese of Nakuru also remembered one of its faithful sons: Rev. Fr. Michael K Ithondeka, who was brutally murdered exactly 12 years ago. Fr. Ithondeka went to be with the Lord on the 26th January 2008 at the height of the Post-Election Violence.

Providentially, Fr. Michael Kamau Ithondeka was a priest in love with the scriptures. He did his Licentiate in Sacred Scriptures in the prestigious Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome. At the time of his demise, he was a lecturer in Sacred Scriptures at St. Matthias Mulumba Senior Seminary, Tindinyo.

Official Logo for Sunday of God's word
As I celebrated Sunday Masses to mark the Sunday of the word of God, I couldn’t help but think of this priest and lover of the scriptures. I know that if he was present with us today, he would have certainly delighted at this Sunday’s celebration but we know that he is celebrating with us from heaven.

I had the rare opportunity to encounter Fr. Ithondeka twice in my teenage years. For High School, I studied at St. Joseph’s Junior Seminary. We had the privilege, perhaps because our school was a minor seminary, to have a day of recollection (one day retreat) every month. I reminisce we used to look forward to these day’s with a particular enthusiasm. Our Rector would invite different priests from the diocese to preach and guide us during these recollections. The most interesting part would be when these priests would share with us their own life stories.  I recall vividly that it was after such kin of recollections, after hearing the stories of these priests that I resolved, aided by God’s grace, to become a priest after my secondary school studies.

One of the priests that I remember very well, who was invited to preach these recollections to us was Fr. Michael K. Ithondeka. I recall he was invited twice during the four years that I was there. I still reminisce how honestly he spoke to us about his journey into the priesthood. I don’t know the experience of others, but he was one of the people you wouldn’t forget you ever met. There was something peculiar about him. Many years have passed yet his laughter still re-echo’s in my mind. He told us about his family and the part that interested us the most was his life in Rome, the Eternal City.

Immediately, after high school, came the Post-Election Violence and the saddening news that Fr. Ithondeka had been killed in the height of this violence. I still recall the sombre mood at his funeral. Over the years, after I joined the major seminary and in the few years I have been a priest I have found myself reflecting deeply on the life of this incredible priest of our diocese. He was a priest for only 15 years…but 15 years were enough for him to do so much.

In the course of my theological studies as a seminarian in St. Matthias Mulumba Senior Seminary Tindinyo. I came across many of his personal books, which he donated posthumously to the seminary library. I still recall reading his Masters’ Thesis which was on the Book of Revelation. Later in my life as a priest, I was asked to assist for a month, in one of our parishes whose parish priest had gone on vacation. This was St. Monica Mwaragania Parish. While there I heard many wonderful stories of this priest who had given us recollections many years ago. He was the first Parish Priest of St. Monica Mwaragania—those days, when there was no electricity,  no piped water, etc. He had been appointed there just after his studies in Rome. It immediately dawned on me that this was a man, a priest, who was totally committed to empty himself in service to God’s people. In the words of one of then parishioners, “he used to say he wanted to make Mwaragania the best parish in the world, not for vain glory but for the glory of God!” Later I learnt that he had previously served another parish also in the Peripheries: Lower Subukia.  

Undeniably, his priestly life and death has many lessons, particularly for us, who are serving as priests in the same diocese that he served and indeed for all priests. He reminds us that we should give ourselves completely for the mission to the point of shedding our blood, if need be. As Jesus told his disciples: “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have conquered the world.” (John 16:33)

The author is parochial vicar Mary Mother of God, Kabarnet parish. Diocese of Nakuru.


Comments

  1. The sadness could not linger for long since his good works and enthusiasm soothed the souls of all who knew him. May his soul Continue Resting in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know he studied in Biblicum. Did he pursue doctorate elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will enquire from Fr. Erick Mwangi. I am not aware of he studied anywhere else. Though he was also very fluent in German

      Delete
  3. Very sad to loss a Servant of God in Barbaric act caused by men he served.
    May his soul continue resting in eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a spiritual role model indeed. I have loved his commitment in serving. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a spiritual role model. I have loved his commitmrnt in serving

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WITH FRANCIS OUR POPE AND CLEOPHAS OUR BISHOP

THE OFFERTORY PROCESSION

"I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU AT THE GATE" FR. MICHAEL MUTUKU