25th Sunday Year B: BEING CHILD-LIKE, BEING CHRIST-LIKE, BEING GOD-LIKE



25th Sunday Year B


BEING CHILD-LIKE, BEING CHRIST-LIKE, BEING GOD-LIKE

By Fr. Casmir Odundo, Kibet (St. Veronica, Keringet Parish)

Three years ago, I boarded a bus…Easy Coach, to be precise, from Kisumu to Nakuru. I was among the very first people to assume their seats in the bus. There were not so many passengers. A cute couple with a young daughter (around 3 years old) suddenly came into the bus. Naturally, the mother secured a seat for her daughter next to her and the father sat just behind them. “Mummy I want to seat next to Daddy,” shouted the young lad with an American Accent. This got the attention of all the passengers in the bus. The parents ignored her. “Hey, I want to seat next to Daddy,” the young angel insisted. “Great English from a three year old,” I thought.   Her parents conversed briefly in Luo. “OK then,” the mother said and they changed places with the father. “Oedipus Complex,” I whispered to the passenger who had sat next to me and I smiled. A couple of hours later, the young daughter fell asleep and the mother came back to her seat, and they put their daughter between them. In the course of the journey, I couldn’t help but think about this couple…how they had sandwiched the young girl between them.  Of course they must have come from the States. My mind went from their daughter to my own days when growing up as a child. “Today, children have taken centre stage…their opinion, concern matters a lot.” The passenger, who was sitting next to me whispered. He must have noted how much I had stared at this adorable couple.

In the gospel passage (Mk 9:30-37) the disciples are on the journey together with Jesus, just like all of us were in that bus in the above story. They are on their WAY. Last Sunday, Jesus was still on this way with them at Caesarea Philippi where he famously posed to them the two million dollar questions: Who do people say that I am?  and What do you say that I am? We recall the response of Peter, how on behalf of the Apostles he got the second question right but how wrong he got when later in the same passage he could not understand why Jesus, the one he had correctly identified as the Christ, the Anointed One, was to undergo suffering.

The admission of St. Peter, that Jesus is the Christ marks a very high point in the Gospel of St. Mark’s trajectory.  You recall that in many passages (preceding the above passage) the identity of Jesus as Divine was somehow hidden through Markan Secrecy. After the disciples had understood that Jesus was indeed Christ, i.e. the Messiah, i.e. God, i.e. Divine. Then, Mark now wants to make them understand the second nature of Christ and that is his humanity. And that is why in Last Sunday’s passage as well as this Sunday’s Jesus talks of his inevitable suffering, death and resurrection. (Remember that Mark’s Gospel has no infancy narratives, so this is as low as we can get).

It is significant to note that this catechesis of Jesus happens to them on THE WAY. The Way of course geographically is interpreted to mean the way to Jerusalem, where Christ will eventually be killed. However, there is also a deeper understanding of this WAY (Hodos) in this context, particularly when we look at it theologically. Remember in the Gospel of John when of of the disciples, Thomas asked, Lord, we do not know where you are going how can we know the way?  Jesus responded, that He is The Way, The Truth and the Life. So the disciples just like us were on the way, in search of the truth. It is also worth mentioning that the Early Christians, before they were called Christians for the first time in Antioch, were referred as “followers of THE WAY.” (Acts 9: 1-2). This is perhaps why St. Josemaria Escriva, chose the title THE WAY for his celebrated Christian masterpiece. (I hope you have read it and you are still re-reading it). The journey of the disciples with Jesus is also our journey. We are on the way with Jesus. And just like any other Safari we expect to meet different things on the Way: Obstacles, setbacks, accidents, perhaps we may get lost and most importantly as in any journey we expect to arrive at our destination.  (There is a beautiful Swahili hymn on Safari Ya Mafanikio.)

On their journey, the disciples in today’s gospel passage, made some the wrong turnings as is evidenced by today’s gospel passage. The weakness of the disciples reminds us of our own weaknesses and imperfections as Christians. For some weeks now, there have been a lot of reports about the scandals that have rocked the Church particularly in the United States. We must always remember that Church leaders being human have their own imperfections. But luckily, the disciples had Jesus with them: The Way, The truth and the Life, to guide them back on the right track. Jesus had spoken to them about his impending suffering, death and resurrection but they did not understand and did not even bother to ask.  I am always amazed by students in class, who many do not understand a concept, or what the teacher is teaching but yet do not ask for clarifications or explanations. The same can happen to us in our spiritual journey. Sometimes we are lost, but we don’t bother getting help. Do not be afraid of asking Jesus questions, when we do not understand some things in our lives.  

On the way, the disciples were arguing about who was the greatest among them. They had paid little attention to what Jesus said and concentrated on their own issues, on worldly issues. They were focused on honors and greatness. They were too preoccupied with useless ambition and pride.  As the second reading (James 3:16—4:3) puts it clear, “Where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every foul practice.” Pope Francis, has repeatedly warned priests of clericalism and careerism in their priestly ministry. In the major seminary sometimes, there is a tendency among the seminarians to ask and even propose who among them is destined to be a bishop or occupy some important place in the Church. In a video documentary Doing God’s Will on the life of the Servant of God, Maurice Michael Cardinal Otunga, the Servant of God, explained that though, he rose through the ranks of the Church to be a Cardinal. What he always wished for and desired was to be “an ordinary priest working in a parish.

When they reached Capernaum, ( Etymologically: The city of consolation) Jesus called the twelve aside in the house. It was more of a private audience. And Our Lord, of course already aware about what they were arguing on the way, chose to inquire from them what they were arguing about. But they remained silent. It was a guilty silence. They were ashamed of their pride. In life there is always a temptation to engage in futile discourses and activities. Just how much time we waste on the unimportant things! How much time we waste on pride and vanity!

It is then that Christ sat down and began to teach them about humility. “If anyone wishes to be the first; he shall be the last of all and the servant of all,” Jesus said. Then because he was a great teacher, (great teachers always use teaching aids) he picked up a child and placed it in their midst just as the cute couple placed a child in their midst in the Easy Coach bus: “Whosoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me, and whosoever receives me, receives not me but the Father who sent me.
According to Church Tradition, this child has been identified as St. Ignatius of Antioch, the future, Martyr and Doctor of the Church (One of the Apostolic Fathers, whose feast day is on 17th October.) 

Why did Jesus use the example of a child to cure their pride? Children are known for their innocence, simplicity and purity and therefore they are the greatest models of purity. In the Jewish culture as it was in many African cultures children were also seen to be of little importance. In many African cultures, children were not even permitted to sit on chairs. They would always sit down on the floor, even if there was more than enough space on the seats.  

So our spiritual homework for this week is to strive to adopt the spiritual attitudes of children and to be be Child-like. Because when we are are child-like we are also Christ-like. And when we are Christ-like we are God-like. For Jesus said, “Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but the One who sent me.
Such was the attitude and spirituality of St. Therese of the Child Jesus, especially her Little Way, that has come to be identified as Spiritual Childhood.

The Blessed Virgin Mary is a model of humility. She received the little child Jesus with great humility as is exemplified by her song the Magnificant: “For God looks on his servant with her lowliness

One of the most powerful prayers on humility is the Litany of Humility, attributed to Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val (1865-1930). It is said that some people do not have the courage to complete this prayer. I recommend it and post it below for your private devotion:


LITANY OF HUMILITY

Lord Jesus. Meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, Jesus.
That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

Comments

  1. This an inspired reflection that makes me humble and generates in me the desire for my holiness and that of my brothers and sisters I journey with everyday. Thanks fr. Casmir

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE OFFERTORY PROCESSION

"I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU AT THE GATE" FR. MICHAEL MUTUKU

BREAKING BARRIERS: THE SIGNIFICANCE OF ARCHBISHOP STEPHEN AMEYU MARTIN MULLA'S ELEVATION TO CARDINAL